STARS & STRIPES COOK-OFF CONTEST
Presented by the Jefferson Township Ruritan Club
Saturday, July 1 – 6am to 7pm at the Ruritan Club grounds in Otwell, IN. All times Eastern Standard Time.
Cook Off open to anyone. Prizes for each category.
Categories to be judged: Best Sauce, Steak, Pork Chop, Chicken, & Ribs.
$20 entry fee per category, $75 dollars if entered in all five categories. Deadline to register is Wednesday, June 28th 2017.
Not interested in cooking? Sign up to be a Judge!!
Public will be able to purchase tickets to sample food for a minimal cost. Sampling will begin at 3pm Saturday the 1st.
Vendors are welcome to display products related to outdoors and cooking, $20 a spot.
Contact (812)-789-3705 with questions, to register, to reserve a spot, or be a judge.
Nothing better than grilling and the 4th of July, Come have some FUN and taste some great food!!!!
Rules and Regulations
- The Event Coordinator shall have FINAL approval of all meats, decisions, and issues that may arise.
- Teams may have many members, but must have one Chief Cook.
- Teams will be assigned an area that is of reasonable size. If you feel you need more room, ask and we will try to accommodate if available.
- Set up of area will be allowed starting at 6am and cooking will begin at 7am. Lighting the grill is considered part of the set up and may be done before cook time. No pre-lit fires before arrival. A meeting with the Chief Cooks will be at 6:45am.
- All meats and sauces must be prepared on site. Meats must be raw and uncooked. Marinating and seasoning is allowed prior to check-in. Meats must be kept at 40 degrees or less until being cooked. All meats must be approved with the Event Coordinator prior to beginning any cooking.
- Categories will include:
- Sauce: 5 servings to be judged (2 to 3 ounce servings) – 3:30pm judging
- Steak: 5 servings to be judged (2 to 3 ounce servings) – 4:00pm judging
- Pork Chop: 5 servings to be judged (2 to 3 ounce servings) – 4:30pm judging
- Chicken: 5 servings to be judged (2 to 3 ounce servings) – 5:00pm judging
- Ribs (bone in): 5 servings to be judged (2 to 3 ounce servings) – 5:30pm judging
- Entries will be judged based on Appearance, Taste, and Tenderness.
- Winners will be announced at 6:00 pm. All decisions of the judges will be final.
- Entries may have sauce, but it is not required. All sauce included must be applied during the cooking. No extra sauces, juices, etc. should be added to entry after it is placed into the container to be judged. Nothing except the entry shall be placed into the container, along with no markings to indicate which team it came from.
- All meats must be cooked to a minimum of 145 degrees, and must be covered and maintain a temperature of 140 degrees after cooking has finished. Each team must have a meat thermometer, and the use of thermometers will be enforced.
- Cooking extra for crowd sampling is highly encouraged. Sampling by the public will begin at 3pm. Teams must have every ingredient included in every entry displayed visibly so the public is aware of any ingredients that may affect them personally.
- Teams are responsible for clean up during and immediately following the contest. Trash bags will be supplied. Once the team’s area is set up, there will be no vehicles parked in the area. Teams are asked to keep a clear lane open around their area for emergency use.
- Each team will be required to have a fire extinguisher (A,B,C) in full view at all times.
- Teams will be allowed to use wood, pellets, or charcoal. No propane will be allowed to be used for cooking. A propane lighter used strictly for lighting the grill will be allowed. There will no open fires allowed, nor will there be any fires allowed on the ground. All fires must be contained and elevated.
- No pets allowed in or around the cooking areas.
- Cleanliness is mandatory from every team while cooking and handling any and all meats and ingredients. Proper hand washing and the use of approved food handling gloves will be enforced at all times when handling any ingredient both raw and cooked. Gloves should be changed often. Please prevent cross contamination.
- Teams will be responsible for all equipment needed in the preparation of entries. Water will be available nearby, but there will be little to no electricity.
- No alcoholic beverages will be allowed. No tobacco products will be allowed during the preparation, handling, cooking, or presentation of the contest entries.
- All clothing must be worn including shirts and shoes at all times.
- Entry fees are non-refundable. We will make every effort to have the contest so long as the weather is not too terrible.
- The Event Coordinator reserves the right to amend these rules at any time as situations warrant.
- All times listed are Eastern Standard Time.
- Lastly, this event does not happen without your participation. We encourage you to have fun and enjoy the day, but we also want this to be a SAFE day and an inviting attraction.
Any further questions or needs for the contest, contact (812)-789-3705.